Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Week 2....

We have had a lot of excitement since my last message. On Friday, we got the word in the morning that there was a gas leak in the mess hall, and they evacuated Barrack Blocks 8 and 12, and the mess hall. There were construction workers whom were tarring the building roof and pretty much jumping off the building to hopefully avoid explosions. There were multiple fire trucks, and it took almost 3 hours for them to fix it. Meanwhile, as I was just in a band rehearsal helping out, myself and several others had to go out to Hangar 6 and rip open IMP (individual Meal Packages), which were tossed in water for lunch, and they also made sandwiches and hot dogs. When officers and Civilian Instructors can pull together we were able to feed all camp - almost 1000 people quicker than they normally do in the mess. I helped out with handing out juice. And did I mention it was one of the hottest days we have had yet?? I managed to get a wonderful minor sunburn, and was exhausted. Had to help one of my colleagues CI Megan Lazaruk as she breathed in alot of gas, and was sick to her stomach. By the end of Friday we had some drinks to finish off a busy week.

Saturday was our first adventure at level testing. Music level testing is where the cadets prepare scales and songs and play them in front of a panel of 2 people, to determine if they achieve their level badge. The first week is generally pretty easy going, and we only passed a couple in my room. We were done by lunch which makes for a good weekend! Because of the gas leak on Friday, they moved our steak night to Saturday, which is the best meal of the week. Saturday night, is party night and we had a "Famous People Party" It was alot of fun, and of course Sunday was then sleeping in! I went into town with some folks - three people went to see Harry Potter, and I went to see My Sister's Keeper. Then we grabbed food from town - and avoided mess food for a day.

Monday started as per usual and it will be a busy week! We had a meet and greet with the Commanding Officer of Prairie Region on Monday, today we had our flight photos and tomorrow I get to go to the Gliding Zone with the cadets. I have never been in a Glider, so we will see how that goes and if I get an opportunity to go tomorrow. Tomorrow night is the typical Wednesday night dance for cadets. Its my Squadrons time to supervise, so it will be a long 2-3 hours of making sure cadets are at least 6 inches apart!

Its super hot here, we have had some cadets RTU (returned to Unit), for behavioural issues, and people are starting to get a bit antsy. so It makes for an interesting week....

But thats all for now....

Ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment